Skip to content

Short-Term Rentals

The Town of Seneca Falls regulates short-term vacation rentals to address neighborhood impacts and life safety issues. Regulations for Short-Term Rentals (pdf) are applicable to properties within the town’s radius.

The town first adopted STR regulations in November 2022. All STR licenses issued will be valid through December 31 with annual renewal required by January 1 of each year. Renewal reminders will be emailed to all license holders at least 30 days prior to expiration.


The Town of Seneca Falls recognizes that there are benefits to allowing owners of residential units to rent their properties for periods of less than 30 days. STRs supplement community’s lodging bed base, diversify lodging options, and provide economic benefit to property owners and the community.

STRs also impact the Seneca Falls community in various ways. Resident quality of life, parking, wildlife protection, affordable housing, transportation, and city services are all impacted by the operation of STRs. Due to the potential for adverse impacts, STRs are regulated by the Town of Seneca Falls to protect the health, safety, and welfare of owners, neighbors, and visitors and balance conflicting community needs and interests.

What is a Short-Term Rental?

A short-term rental is defined in the town ordinance as occupancy of a single-family residential premises for a term of no more than 30 days, on two or more occasions during any six-month period, and where occupancy shall not exceed two persons for each bedroom, plus two additional occupants. Short-term rentals are permitted in every Short-term rentals are permitted in any district where residential uses are permitted.

How do I obtain a Short-Term Rental Permit?

Property owners wishing to rent their residential property or dwelling unit for periods of fewer than 30 days at a time must obtain an STR permit and the required licensing from the Town of Seneca Falls before operating the STR.

New STR permits can be applied for at any time. Please consult the STR Guidelines for information about application and compliance requirements.

You do not have an STR license until you receive approval from the Zoning & Code Enforcement officer.

Required Documents for STR Permit Applications

A completed Short-Term Rental Permit Application

After Applying For Your STR Permit

Once we review your application, we’ll contact you to let you know whether it is approved. Please be aware that the review process does take time. We appreciate your patience. Upon approval, you will receive a permit that is valid for one calendar year ending December 31.

  • Document posting: Print and post the following documents in a prominent location within your STR property:
    1. Post your Town of Seneca Falls STR Permit sign with street address and responsible agent contact information in a nearby front-facing window. Download a template that you can use to create your sign (pdf).
    2. Good Neighbor Guidelines (pdf)
  • License Transferability: A short-term rental license is uniquely tied to an individual property and the owner. Therefore, upon sale of a property, the new owner must complete their own application for a short-term rental license.

How to Renew or Update an Existing STR Permit

An existing STR permit may be renewed by submitting an Application for Renewal/Update of a Short-term Rental Permit and the applicable fee to the Zoning & Code Enforcement department.

Permit Fees

Permit fees are in addition to the cost of an application fee. All potential owners of Short-term Rental properties are recommended to contact the Seneca County Treasurer regarding Sales and Lodging Taxes, in addition to Seneca County Code Enforcement for compliance requirements with NYS Fire and Building Code.

Short-Term Rental Nuisance Complaints

To report a potential code violation, please submit an online request for service. For questions pertaining to short-term vacation rental certificates, please contact Zoning & Code Enforcement at 315-568-8013. Please allow 5 to 7 business days for a response.

Helpful Documents

Ordinance §300-45

Application for New Short-Term Rental Permit

Application for Annual Renewal/Update of Short-Term Rental Permit

Good Neighbor Guide

Frequently Asked Questions

Complete Short-Term Rental Packet