Skip to content

When Do I Need a Zoning Permit

Prior to commencing your repair, renovation, addition or any other project in the Town of Seneca Falls, please contact the Office of Zoning & Code Enforcement to learn of any requirements and if a Town Zoning Permit is required.

In some instances, a Town Zoning Permit may not be required, however, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to also inquire with the Seneca County Code Enforcement to learn of the requirements relevant to the project scope of work.

The following list is a sampling of the various scopes of work which require a Zoning Permit, and is not to be interpreted as an inclusive listing.

We would be glad to assist you in the planning and permitting process.

When do I need a Zoning Permit in the Town of Seneca Falls?

  1. New Construction including: houses, garages/carports, commercial structures, additions and accessory structures
  2. Adding apartments to existing structures
  3. Roofing, windows and siding
  4. Demolition of structures
  5. Fences
  6. Signs
  7. Swimming pools
  8. Satellite dishes
  9. Decks and patios
  10. Repairs
  11. Change of use permits
  12. Historic District

    If the property resides within the boundaries of the Seneca Falls Historic District, the property owner must submit an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness to the Heritage Preservation Commission prior to applying for a Zoning Permit and commencing any work. For more information about the guidelines for properties within the Historic District, see Heritage Preservation Commission.

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT FAILURE TO OBTAIN A ZONING PERMIT MAY RESULT IN AN IMPOSITION OF A FINE. It is always advised to contact the Zoning & Code Enforcement Officer before you start any project to ensure you are in compliance with Town Code.