Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a small claims lawsuit against someone?

Small Claims Court is a special part of the court where you can sue for money without a lawyer. You cannot sue to make someone do something or for pain and suffering. Anyone 18 years of age or older can sue in Small Claims Court. If you are less than 18 years old, your parent or guardian may sue on your behalf. Only an individual can sue in Small Claims Court. Corporations, partnerships, associations, or assignees cannot sue in Small Claims Court.

A Guide to Small Claims in the NYS Courts

How do I get an Order of Protection?

An order of protection is a court order requiring one person to do, or not do, certain things if a crime is committed. Learn more about what an order of protection is and how you can get one by clicking HERE.

How do I look up sex offenders in my area?

Visit the New York State Sex Offender Registry Search

Seasonal Parking Restrictions

Between November 1st and May 1st no parking will be allowed on any roads, streets, or town parking lots within the town between the hours of 1:00 am and 6:00 am. Any vehicle in violation is subject to being ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense.

Seneca Falls residents who reside in the downtown area and park in the town owned municipal parking lots must obtain a parking permit to avoid parking tickets. A parking permit can be obtained at the Seneca Falls Police Department on weekdays between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. The parking permit ensures that the police department has contact information on file to contact you in the event that your vehicle needs to be moved. Although you will only need to file one application, you are responsible for updating your contact information each year. You can do so by calling or stopping by the police department.

How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit?

To obtain a handicapped permit application you can visit your primary care physician or visit the Forms & Documents page on this website. The applicant will be required to complete section one of the form and your primary care physician will be required to complete section two. Once completed, return the completed form to the police department. You will be required to bring your New York State Driver’s License or DMV issued photo identification. Other acceptable forms of identification include a birth certificate and proof of residency.

How do I obtain a copy of my accident report?

Copies of police reports are generally between 3-5 days after the report was taken, although it is a good idea to call ahead to make sure it is available. Anyone wishing to obtain a copy of their accident report should go to the police department during normal business hours and speak to the records division.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Police reports are generally available 24-hours after the initial report was taken, although it is a good idea to call ahead to make sure it is available. A F.O.I.L. records request is required to be filed and approved by the Chief of Police prior to the release of any records. Any reports with a pending status will not be released until the case is closed. Anyone wishing to obtain a copy of their accident report should go to the police department during normal business hours and speak to the records division.

How do I pay a parking ticket?

If you were issued a parking ticket by the Seneca Falls Police Department you should follow the instructions on the back of the ticket. Once the parking ticket is issued it is sent to the Town of Seneca Falls Court. The police department does not collect any fines for the violations. The Town of Seneca Falls Court can be reached at 315-568-9234.

How do I obtain a pistol permit?

Pistol permit applications are available from the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office at the Seneca County Law Enforcement Center. The forms and instructions are available on the Sheriff’s Office website.

How do I request a property check of my home/business/property?

If your home/business/property is located within the Town of Seneca Falls you can request that the police department perform regular checks while you’re on vacation, etc. To request a property check you can call the police department anytime, stop in during normal business hours, or complete the form found under the Forms & Documents page and email it or drop it off to the police department.

How can I give a compliment or report outstanding performance by a police department member?

If you wish to compliment any member of the Seneca Falls Police Department, please call and ask for the members supervisor, the Lieutenant, or the Chief of Police. You can also submit your comments in writing by mailing a letter to the police department addressed to the Chief of Police or by completing an online form.

How do I file a complaint against a member of the police department?

Although we strive to satisfy every person that we come in contact with, we recognize that this does not always happen. If you have a complaint about the way an officer or other member of the Seneca Falls Police Department responded to your call for service, please call (315) 568-4850 and request to speak to the on-duty supervisor for that person.  

You can also complete an online form. When using this form, you can remain anonymous. If you wish to remain anonymous please include as much detail as possible. Without the ability to contact the person filing the complaint all information about the incident is helpful.

Is there someone within the police department that I can speak to regarding domestic violence?

There are no direct domestic violence services provided by the police department. The police department can assist individuals looking for information and services related to domestic violence. Officers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist individuals seeking those services. You may also contact the Domestic Violence Hotline at (315) 539-1607 or call 1-8oo-688-1788, extension 1607 to speak with a domestic violence staff member. Staff can be contacted at either number 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also visit the Domestic Violence Services. This link will direct you to the Seneca County website and provide you with all services and information related to domestic violence within Seneca County.

How do I submit a tip to the police department to report drug or other crime activity?

Anyone wishing to relay drug or other crime activity is always able to speak to a police officer. However, we understand that individuals may be afraid to speak to us about this sensitive information. A drug and crime tip hotline are available for anyone to call if they suspect drug activity or crimes within the Town of Seneca Falls. The phone number is 315-568-6969. Information given will remain confidential and all reports can be made anonymously.  

The police department also has an online form you may use that is forwarded to the police department. This form can be submitted anonymously also.

How can I obtain a copy of my criminal history?

The Seneca Falls Police Department is not authorized to provide individuals a copy of their criminal history. An individual may request a Personal Record Review to obtain a copy of his/her New York State criminal history record, commonly called a rap sheet or a “no record” response indicating that he/she has no New York State criminal history record by visiting the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services.