The Seneca Falls Historic District consists of buildings and neighborhoods within the 19th century core of Seneca Falls, which have been professionally deemed of lasting value because of their historical architectural, or cultural significance. Judgments of architectural integrity and historical importance were based on New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation criteria and standards.
The District comprises 362 acres or 25 streets including the Central Business District and the Sackett Business District- encompassing about 50 structures. The significance of these buildings and districts comes from their association with the 19th century historical events and accomplishments that have made Seneca Falls internationally known:
- The first Women’s Rights Convention held here in 1848
- The impact of the industrial revolution, notably water power and water transport
- Early manufacture of pumps and fire engines used throughout the world
Origin of the Historic District
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 responded to an increasing awareness by Americans that irreplaceable historic resources were being lost without considering the social and economic benefits of preserving important historical and architectural properties.
In 1980, the Seneca Falls Historic District Ordinance was passed by the former Village Board of Trustees. Establishment of the District was encouraged by the enabling legislation for the Women’s Rights National Historical Park and the inclusion of Seneca Falls as one of 14 selected communities in the 1977 New York State Urban Cultural Parks legislation. Today, the Seneca Falls Historic District is within one of 18 active New York State Heritage Areas (formerly UCP).
- Fall Street – Trinity Lane Historic District
- Seneca Falls Historic District